This Apricot Chicken made in a slow cooker is a fantastic winter warmer and tastes amazing. The acid of the lemon with the sweetness of the apricots is a great match with thyme.
Recipe provided by New Zealand Gluten-Free Chef Jimmy Boswell, food writer, chef, food stylist; author of The New Zealand Gluten-Free Cookbook, Published by Penguin New Zealand. For more info on Jimmy, visit his Facebook page.
– 1 tblspn extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
– 500 g (1 lb) chicken breasts boneless, skinless (about 125g each (4 oz))
– 1½ cups preserved apricots diced, reserve the juice
– 1 cup chicken stock (broth)
– 2 tblspns apple cider vinegar
– 2 tspns extra virgin olive or coconut oil
– 2 medium onions sliced
– Zest from one lemon
– Juice from 1 medium lemon
– 3 tspns fresh thyme (or 1 1/2 tsp dried)
– Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper over all sides.
In a large heavy-based skillet, heat 1 tblspn oil of medium high heat. Sauté chicken breasts for a few minutes each side until browned (doesn’t have to cook through).
Remove chicken from skillet and set aside in a slow cooker.
Place 2 tblspns oil in same skillet with sliced onions. Sauté until softened and lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Add chicken stock, deglaze the pan for 2-3 minutes and then add the vinegar, diced apricot, apricot juice, thyme, lemon juice and zest and season with salt and pepper.
Reduce heat and simmer for 5-6 minutes. Pour mixture over chicken and slow cook on low for 4-5 hours.
Serve garnished with fresh thyme sprigs, seasonal fresh steamed vegetables and sweet potato mash.
Image / Supplied