I make these when I have leftover chicken roast from the day before. This is an easy breakfast or brunch.
Recipe provided by New Zealand Gluten-Free Chef Jimmy Boswell, food writer, chef, food stylist and author of The New Zealand Gluten-Free Cookbook, Published by Penguin New Zealand. For more info on Jimmy, visit his Facebook page.
– 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
– 310g (12 oz) can corn kernels, drained
– 1 small red capsicum, finely diced
– 1/2 bunch spinach leaves, shredded
– 2 tblspns coconut or plain Gluten free flour sifted (can also use regular flour)
– 6 eggs, lightly beaten
– 1/4 cup olive oil
– 80g (3 oz) mixed salad leaves
– 1 Lebanese cucumber, halved lengthways, deseeded, cut into matchsticks
– 2 carrots peeled, cut into matchsticks
– 250g (10 oz) cherry tomatoes halved
– 1 1/2 tblspns white wine vinegar
– 1 1/2 tblspns olive oil
– Pinch white sugar
– 1 tspn Gluten free dijon mustard (can use normal mustard if you don’t need Gluten free)
Preheat oven to 160°C. Place chicken, corn, capsicum and spinach in a large bowl. Stir in flour and eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
Heat half the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Using 1/4 cup of mixture per fritter, spoon mixture, 3 fritters at a time, into hot oil. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes each side or until golden and firm to touch in the centre, adding remaining oil as required. Transfer to a wire rack over a baking tray lined with paper towel, to drain.
Keep warm in oven while cooking remaining fritters.
Meanwhile, combine salad leaves, cucumber, carrots and tomatoes in a large bowl. Whisk vinegar, oil, sugar, mustard and salt and pepper in a jug. Pour over salad and toss to combine.
Divide salad among plates. Top with fritters and serve.
Image / Jimmy Boswell