This salad is a summer dish in Greek cuisine. I have been to Greece many times and just love to find a quiet, local café that serves this traditional salad.
Recipe provided by New Zealand Gluten-Free Chef Jimmy Boswell, food writer, chef, food stylist and author. Recipe from The New Zealand Gluten-Free Cookbook, Published by Penguin New Zealand. For more info on Jimmy, visit his Facebook page.
– 6 firm, ripe tomatoes coarsely chopped
– 3 Lebanese cucumbers unpeeled, coarsely chopped
– 1 red onion, sliced
– 1 red capsicum halved, deseeded, coarsely chopped
– 200g marinated Greek olives
– 220g marinated feta, coarsely chopped
– 1 tspn dried oregano
– 1 tspn salt
– ½ cup olive oil
– ¼ cup white vinegar
Combine tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, capsicum, olives and feta in a salad bowl. Sprinkle with oregano and salt.
Whisk together the oil and vinegar in a jug. Drizzle the salad with dressing and toss to combine. Serve immediately.
Image / Sean Shadbolt (www.foodphotography.co.nz)