If you’re sick of plain old steamed beans, this Spicy green bean salad will revive your love for these vegetables. The crumbled feta and jalapeno peppers add delicious flavours to the beans, not to mention the colours look great when it’s served up!
Recipe provided by New Zealand Gluten-Free Chef Jimmy Boswell, food writer, chef, food stylist; author of The New Zealand Gluten-Free Cookbook, Published by Penguin New Zealand. For more info on Jimmy, visit his Facebook page.
– 400 g fresh green beans strings removed, ends snapped or cut off
– 1/4 cup onion finely chopped
– 2 tblspns lime juice or white vinegar
– 1 tblspn olive oil
– 1/2 tspn sea salt
– 1/2 tspn dried oregano
– 3/4 cup packed, chopped coriander
– 1/3 cup bottled, pickled jalapeno chilli peppers, sliced
– 1/3 cup red onion chopped
– 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
– 1/2 avocado sliced or cut into 25 mm long pieces
– 1 medium tomato cut into 8 wedges, or a cup of halved cherry tomatoes
Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the beans and simmer until just crisp tender, about 5 minutes.
Drain the beans and run cold water over them to cool them quickly. Drain completely.
Place beans in a large bowl. Gently mix in the lime juice or vinegar, olive oil, 1/4 cup onion, sliced pickled jalapenos, sea salt, oregano and coriander (cilantro). Let sit for half an hour.
When ready to serve, gently mix in the chopped red onion and cheese. Serve the avocado slices and tomato wedges on the side or mixed into the salad.
Image / Jimmy Boswell