Beads are around 5mm x 5mm.
How do amber teething necklaces work?
Quality teething necklaces are made from Baltic Amber – a naturally occurring mineral. It’s said that when a baby wears it, their body heat triggers the release of a minute amount of oil that contains succinic acid, a naturally-occurring substance in the body. When the oil is absorbed it’s thought to have an anti-inflammatory effect on swollen, sore gums.
There is currently no hard scientific evidence that teething necklaces work, however, many mums around the world (including myself!) swear by them so it’s important that if you would like to give one a try you do it with the following safety notes in mind and that you have reasonable expectations.
- Strangulation and choking are the main risks associated with teething necklaces.
- The cords knots between each bead help keep beads in place, however amber teething necklaces are not made to be chewed.
- Parental supervision is recommended at all times whenever the necklace is on.
- Necklace should be removed before the child goes to sleep (naps or overnight sleeping) or if the child is unattended.
- Check the necklace regularly for broken beads or fraying cord; if it starts to deteriorate it should be thrown away.